Notices
Detailing & Paint Protection Detailing tips, tricks, and product information to keep your vehicle in showroom condition.

Oakes Detailed: 1991 Porsche 911 Turbo - Blue Whale Revival

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2011, 06:50 PM
Teamspeed Member
Oakes is just really niceOakes is just really niceOakes is just really niceOakes is just really niceOakes is just really niceOakes is just really niceOakes is just really niceOakes is just really niceOakes is just really niceOakes is just really niceOakes is just really nice
Oakes Detailed: 1991 Porsche 911 Turbo - Blue Whale Revival

This project spanned quite some time and frankly its one of my personal prouder moments honestly. This 964 Porsche 911 Turbo in Royal Blue spent quite some time with me getting the brakes redone due to fading and a color change, some rusted parts refinished, new stainless steel brake lines installed, other metal components polished up, full paint correction/restoration and the vehicle was completely ceramic coated to wrap it all up.

I documented this detail a little differently than I normally do in the pictures I took to show, one new thing I'm trying out is labeling body panels and their paint depth readings which you will see below before the correction photos.

Definitely take the time to check out all the pictures and their descriptions! I'll start it off with the day she got here...

First order of business was removing the original brake calipers to have them stripped, torn down, powdercoated and restenciled and then rebuilt! Heres the original black finish fading and peeling away.

While the calipers were out getting refinished, the hubs were in need of some recoating, here is the passenger front before and after.

Also while the wheels were off, I did some metal polishing of the heat sheilds in the rear

Then the calipers made their way back! Heres how they looked.

Simple yet elegant finish for this blue/silver/polished color scheme!

With all the mechanical work done and stainless steel brake lines installed, we moved on to the paint work, I first visually inspected it and here were my findings:

Seeing that it was in desperate need of proper correction, I took measurements throughout the vehicle after it was masked off. I took some photos of the major panels and took various paint depth readings. I then took those same images and labeled where the different depths were recorded so I could show an idea of the consistency in depth and where there were areas of concern.

So with the readings known, trim masked off, paint received a full IPA wipedown twice to ensure it was as bare as possible. I got on to the correction work using various combinations throughout the vehicle. Here are some before and after photos as well as 50/50s

So approximately 9 hours of correction, polishing, paint cleansing and alcohol/IronX wash the paint was ready for ceramic application. Left to dry for 24 hours, here are some finished paint photos of the corrective work both before and after the ceramic was applied!

Old 12-19-2011, 06:51 PM
Teamspeed Member
Oakes is just really niceOakes is just really niceOakes is just really niceOakes is just really niceOakes is just really niceOakes is just really niceOakes is just really niceOakes is just really niceOakes is just really niceOakes is just really niceOakes is just really nice

The Royal Blue was showing as perfectly as it should now for such a low mile example of a 911 Turbo from 20 years ago! Here are the finished reflection shots followed by full profile photos of the vehicle, unfortunately we've been plagued with overcast lately so no good outside photos of this beauty.

Full Profile photos of the vehicle!

Thank you for looking and hope you got to read the whole thing! Appreciate any feedback and comments. Enjoy!

Nick Oakes

Old 12-19-2011, 07:01 PM
Former Sponsor
ADV.1 Tony has a reputation beyond reputeADV.1 Tony has a reputation beyond reputeADV.1 Tony has a reputation beyond reputeADV.1 Tony has a reputation beyond reputeADV.1 Tony has a reputation beyond reputeADV.1 Tony has a reputation beyond reputeADV.1 Tony has a reputation beyond reputeADV.1 Tony has a reputation beyond reputeADV.1 Tony has a reputation beyond reputeADV.1 Tony has a reputation beyond reputeADV.1 Tony has a reputation beyond repute
Wow that's some of the best work I've seen. Really like how you put the paint reading on the picture too. Very cool.

Old 12-19-2011, 07:13 PM
Teamspeed Junior Member
TimAD is on a distinguished roadTimAD is on a distinguished roadTimAD is on a distinguished roadTimAD is on a distinguished road
Great job Nick! I can't even imagine how long those paint readings photos took to number. Was the hood repainted?

Old 12-19-2011, 07:15 PM
Teamspeed Member
Thank you both! Appreciate it!

The paint reading pictures were fun haha, I think the only aggravating part was sourcing through my hand written pictures that I crammed all of these readings into. The hood was infact resprayed after a dealer was welding something next to the car and burned through the original paint :/

Old 12-19-2011, 08:56 PM
Teamspeed Junior Member
Duff0000 will become famous soon enoughDuff0000 will become famous soon enoughDuff0000 will become famous soon enoughDuff0000 will become famous soon enoughDuff0000 will become famous soon enoughDuff0000 will become famous soon enoughDuff0000 will become famous soon enough
Very nice! I wonder why the readings on the door panels were so much lower then the rest of the car. Could they have been painted separate from the car in the factory?

Old 12-20-2011, 10:57 AM
Teamspeed Member
My assumption is the width of the quarters and heavy cures probably called for multiple layering to give a level finish since those quarters would allow a lot of movement in the paint. Thank you!

Old 01-02-2012, 08:59 PM
Teamspeed Senior Member
slik560 has a spectacular aura aboutslik560 has a spectacular aura aboutslik560 has a spectacular aura aboutslik560 has a spectacular aura aboutslik560 has a spectacular aura aboutslik560 has a spectacular aura aboutslik560 has a spectacular aura aboutslik560 has a spectacular aura aboutslik560 has a spectacular aura aboutslik560 has a spectacular aura aboutslik560 has a spectacular aura about
Outstanding work. The difference in the depth and quality of the finish is just remarkable.

Old 01-02-2012, 09:31 PM
Teamspeed Pro
HarveyMushman has a reputation beyond reputeHarveyMushman has a reputation beyond reputeHarveyMushman has a reputation beyond reputeHarveyMushman has a reputation beyond reputeHarveyMushman has a reputation beyond reputeHarveyMushman has a reputation beyond reputeHarveyMushman has a reputation beyond reputeHarveyMushman has a reputation beyond reputeHarveyMushman has a reputation beyond reputeHarveyMushman has a reputation beyond reputeHarveyMushman has a reputation beyond repute
I'm speechless.

Old 01-02-2012, 10:11 PM
Teamspeed Pro
TTM0TION has a reputation beyond reputeTTM0TION has a reputation beyond reputeTTM0TION has a reputation beyond reputeTTM0TION has a reputation beyond reputeTTM0TION has a reputation beyond reputeTTM0TION has a reputation beyond reputeTTM0TION has a reputation beyond reputeTTM0TION has a reputation beyond reputeTTM0TION has a reputation beyond reputeTTM0TION has a reputation beyond reputeTTM0TION has a reputation beyond repute
I am speechless as well. That is superb. OMG cars like this is what makes me love the Porsche marque. Thank you for keeping it alive.

Quick Reply: Oakes Detailed: 1991 Porsche 911 Turbo - Blue Whale Revival