Notices
Detailing & Paint Protection Detailing tips, tricks, and product information to keep your vehicle in showroom condition.

Oakes Detailed: Porsche GT3 - Total Overhaul

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2011, 01:59 PM
Teamspeed Member
Oakes is just really niceOakes is just really niceOakes is just really niceOakes is just really niceOakes is just really niceOakes is just really niceOakes is just really niceOakes is just really niceOakes is just really niceOakes is just really niceOakes is just really nice
Oakes Detailed: Porsche GT3 - Total Overhaul

Atlas Gray works so well, in my opinion, on the 997 Porsche GT3. This one in particular was quite a project for myself these past two weeks, with a lot of various different tasks completed on it. Some slight aggravation in a poorly installed, poor quality clear bra that needed to be removed, all four wheels needed refinishing, paint needed correcting and the windows were to be tinted. All done and completed here at my place with the help of some awesome local shops!

First things first, I picked the car up from the busy owner a little north of me on a Sunday and brought her down my location. Monday morning, the work began. I first took the car to my friends down at Shades of Gray Window Tinting - Bucks County and Philadelphia - some awesome guys and very skilled installers - to apply 30% tint all around. Caught in the rain to and from, so the car got a little dirty but heres a snap of how the windows looked after!

Now it was time to get those great looking split spoke wheels redone, suffering from curb rash, chips and other defects from its 30k miles of use. Grabbed a few photos of them before, during and after the process!

Off the car!

After being blasted, sanded and properly repaired before painting

After a healthy layering of based and clear, I set the wheels under the heat lamps for the day and heres the final results!

Given two days to cure, I remounted them and put the car back on the ground to start the clear bra removal. In the photos below, you will see how poorly installed the bra was, almost none of the edges were met, let alone wrapped. It needed to come off, however being such a poor quality film, it was no fun to remove!

After the remaining adhesive was taken off, it was time for the fun part! Heres the condition of the paint, after prep and dual alcohol wipedown, depth readings were in the 1-200 micron range.

Results before LSP under the halogens and after LSP outside in the sun!

A total of 8 hours correcting the paint with 105/Wool, 205/Orange, 106/Green and finished down with P21S Paint cleanser/IPA and then sealed twice with BF Wet Diamond and Wolfgang Fuzion wax.

Old 12-12-2011, 02:00 PM
Teamspeed Member
Oakes is just really niceOakes is just really niceOakes is just really niceOakes is just really niceOakes is just really niceOakes is just really niceOakes is just really niceOakes is just really niceOakes is just really niceOakes is just really niceOakes is just really nice
Reflection photos speak for themselves!

Full profile photos

Thanks for looking, hope you enjoyed! Feedback always welcome!

Nick Oakes

Old 12-12-2011, 10:25 PM
TS Detailing Sponsor | California
Auto Concierge has a brilliant futureAuto Concierge has a brilliant futureAuto Concierge has a brilliant futureAuto Concierge has a brilliant futureAuto Concierge has a brilliant futureAuto Concierge has a brilliant futureAuto Concierge has a brilliant futureAuto Concierge has a brilliant futureAuto Concierge has a brilliant futureAuto Concierge has a brilliant futureAuto Concierge has a brilliant future
Looks fantastic now!, I have GT3 clients that buy the front lower lips from Sharkwerks in pairs(LOL) as this car has been driven!!..... like it should be.

Old 12-13-2011, 10:43 AM
Teamspeed Member
haha, thats definitely a smart way to go about it. The owner of this drives it clearly but also has a steep driveway entrance to deal with. Thanks Bob!

Old 12-13-2011, 10:47 AM
Neg Rep Zen Master
Marc has a reputation beyond reputeMarc has a reputation beyond reputeMarc has a reputation beyond reputeMarc has a reputation beyond reputeMarc has a reputation beyond reputeMarc has a reputation beyond reputeMarc has a reputation beyond reputeMarc has a reputation beyond reputeMarc has a reputation beyond reputeMarc has a reputation beyond reputeMarc has a reputation beyond repute
I am not usually into these threads as there are so many but that was a soup to nuts job. Nicely done.

Old 12-13-2011, 06:19 PM
Teamspeed Member
Thank you! Glad I didnt bore you with another thread haha

Old 12-15-2011, 08:49 AM
Teamspeed Junior Member
TimAD is on a distinguished roadTimAD is on a distinguished roadTimAD is on a distinguished roadTimAD is on a distinguished road
Awesome work Nick! Those sun shots are absolutely killer.

Old 12-15-2011, 10:57 AM
Teamspeed Senior Member
slik560 has a spectacular aura aboutslik560 has a spectacular aura aboutslik560 has a spectacular aura aboutslik560 has a spectacular aura aboutslik560 has a spectacular aura aboutslik560 has a spectacular aura aboutslik560 has a spectacular aura aboutslik560 has a spectacular aura aboutslik560 has a spectacular aura aboutslik560 has a spectacular aura aboutslik560 has a spectacular aura about
Quite a resurrection! Well done. The wheel refurb turned out well, too.

Old 12-19-2011, 10:08 AM
Teamspeed Member
Thank you both! Appreciate it, I was very happy with the results on this car!

Old 12-21-2011, 10:49 AM
Teamspeed Rookie
911MTB is an unknown quantity at this point
I know firsthand how much work that is, great job!

Quick Reply: Oakes Detailed: Porsche GT3 - Total Overhaul