Notices
Detailing & Paint Protection Detailing tips, tricks, and product information to keep your vehicle in showroom condition.

95 Hour Detail by Oakes - BMW M5

Old 09-21-2011, 05:08 PM
Teamspeed Member
Oakes is just really niceOakes is just really niceOakes is just really niceOakes is just really niceOakes is just really niceOakes is just really niceOakes is just really niceOakes is just really niceOakes is just really niceOakes is just really niceOakes is just really nice
95 Hour Detail by Oakes - BMW M5

Orange peel is common on almost all vehicles from the factory, some worse than others and more common on mass produced vehicles as opposed to specialty brands. In any case, it is not exactly a desired trait in vehicle paint. Many people live with it, some dread it much like myself and the owner of this beautiful Interlagos Blue BMW M5. We both felt that the excessive and very noticeable orange peel on this vehicle was taking away from the true depth and effect of this particular color. Definitely had a dull appearance to it, not to say the car was by any means boring, but the color needed to pop more than it was from the start.

Over the course of 95 working hours, due to various reasons, I was able to level this paint, polish it back and really unleash the true Interlagos from the paint. The pictures, which I've narrowed down to just 45 of the 400+ I captured, definitely show the process and improvement. My own jaw dropped when I pulled her out in to the sun after three weeks, as well as the owners. See for yourself!!

The car had the usual defects, swirling and marring as you can see in these sun snaps, the following group of pictures really show how significant the peel was in the paint.

The more I captured the peel on this car, the more I got antsy to get rid of it, you can see just how rough it really was below:

After nearly 9 hours of prep work, everything from full degrease, wash, ironx, wheel removal and removal of grills and other body items that would have been in the way, the car was then masked up as you can see here. When it was all said and done, this M5 took 3 full rolls of green 3M tape and one roll of blue wide tape...rip guys!

The paint readings were taken with the highline gauge and we found a range of 130-860 micron depth.

The sanding process was indeed a process, I used a combination of DA sanding and mostly hand sanding on this vehicle. Starting with 1000 grit, followed by 1500 grit, then 2500 grit...all to be finished with 3000 grit before polishing it back...heres the end result of the fully sanded vehicle. The hood and roof alone were a combined 5 hours! Talk about taking your time...

Here is a polished back rear door in comparison to the sanded front door:

After approximately 20+ hours of compounding and polishing, the paint definitely looked the way it should under various light sources. These pics were taken before the vehicle was prepped for the ceramic coating it would receive.

Quick snap of my knight in shining armor that will be protecting all my work!

The following pictures are all post sanding, polishing and ceramic coating photos. I did the best I could to capture the true depth and color that the Interlagos blue really has, and to show the orange peel completely gone. This M5 is in its right state now!

Old 09-21-2011, 05:09 PM
Teamspeed Member
Oakes is just really niceOakes is just really niceOakes is just really niceOakes is just really niceOakes is just really niceOakes is just really niceOakes is just really niceOakes is just really niceOakes is just really niceOakes is just really niceOakes is just really nice

Thank you for looking and appreciate any and all feedback and comments. This car was as much fun as it was painful to work on haha. Enjoy!

Oakes

Old 09-21-2011, 05:17 PM
Teamspeed Senior Member
Insman is a jewel in the roughInsman is a jewel in the roughInsman is a jewel in the roughInsman is a jewel in the roughInsman is a jewel in the roughInsman is a jewel in the roughInsman is a jewel in the roughInsman is a jewel in the roughInsman is a jewel in the roughInsman is a jewel in the roughInsman is a jewel in the rough
Great job, that is what my new Mini Countryman paint looks like. Hard to believe these paint jobs are coming from the BMW factory...

Old 09-21-2011, 05:27 PM
TEAMSPEED.COM
Redlinerobert has a reputation beyond reputeRedlinerobert has a reputation beyond reputeRedlinerobert has a reputation beyond reputeRedlinerobert has a reputation beyond reputeRedlinerobert has a reputation beyond reputeRedlinerobert has a reputation beyond reputeRedlinerobert has a reputation beyond reputeRedlinerobert has a reputation beyond reputeRedlinerobert has a reputation beyond reputeRedlinerobert has a reputation beyond reputeRedlinerobert has a reputation beyond repute
BMW has always been notorious for orange peel. My new (then) 97 and 98 M3's had it as well.

Great work!

Old 09-21-2011, 06:24 PM
Teamspeed Senior Member
bavmtrwrksftw has much to be proud ofbavmtrwrksftw has much to be proud ofbavmtrwrksftw has much to be proud ofbavmtrwrksftw has much to be proud ofbavmtrwrksftw has much to be proud ofbavmtrwrksftw has much to be proud ofbavmtrwrksftw has much to be proud ofbavmtrwrksftw has much to be proud ofbavmtrwrksftw has much to be proud ofbavmtrwrksftw has much to be proud ofbavmtrwrksftw has much to be proud of
What a transformation! Great work!

Old 09-21-2011, 06:44 PM
Teamspeed Senior Member
Wearymicrobe has a reputation beyond reputeWearymicrobe has a reputation beyond reputeWearymicrobe has a reputation beyond reputeWearymicrobe has a reputation beyond reputeWearymicrobe has a reputation beyond reputeWearymicrobe has a reputation beyond reputeWearymicrobe has a reputation beyond reputeWearymicrobe has a reputation beyond reputeWearymicrobe has a reputation beyond reputeWearymicrobe has a reputation beyond reputeWearymicrobe has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Insman
Great job, that is what my new Mini Countryman paint looks like. Hard to believe these paint jobs are coming from the BMW factory...
Its the new environmental paint, not much they can do about it.

Old 09-21-2011, 07:39 PM
Teamspeed Member
Thanks everyone!

Yes the new waterbourne enviro friendly paint is definitely subject to orange peel a lot more than the old solvent based paints

Old 09-21-2011, 08:22 PM
Teamspeed Pro
RFFG has a brilliant futureRFFG has a brilliant futureRFFG has a brilliant futureRFFG has a brilliant futureRFFG has a brilliant futureRFFG has a brilliant futureRFFG has a brilliant futureRFFG has a brilliant futureRFFG has a brilliant futureRFFG has a brilliant futureRFFG has a brilliant future
Nice work!

Old 09-22-2011, 02:18 AM
TS Detailing Sponsor | California
Auto Concierge has a brilliant futureAuto Concierge has a brilliant futureAuto Concierge has a brilliant futureAuto Concierge has a brilliant futureAuto Concierge has a brilliant futureAuto Concierge has a brilliant futureAuto Concierge has a brilliant futureAuto Concierge has a brilliant futureAuto Concierge has a brilliant futureAuto Concierge has a brilliant futureAuto Concierge has a brilliant future
Outstanding................(even though I said so on Autopia earlier lol).

Old 09-22-2011, 02:23 AM
Teamspeed Pro
rangieboy17 has a reputation beyond reputerangieboy17 has a reputation beyond reputerangieboy17 has a reputation beyond reputerangieboy17 has a reputation beyond reputerangieboy17 has a reputation beyond reputerangieboy17 has a reputation beyond reputerangieboy17 has a reputation beyond reputerangieboy17 has a reputation beyond reputerangieboy17 has a reputation beyond reputerangieboy17 has a reputation beyond reputerangieboy17 has a reputation beyond repute
Good job, thanks for sharing. And nice colour too.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 95 Hour Detail by Oakes - BMW M5