Notices
Detailing & Paint Protection Detailing tips, tricks, and product information to keep your vehicle in showroom condition.

50 hour. Range Rover paint correction and detail

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2010, 08:29 PM
Teamspeed Senior Member
Smoke You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!Smoke You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!Smoke You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!Smoke You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!Smoke You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!Smoke You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!Smoke You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!Smoke You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!Smoke You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!Smoke You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!Smoke You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!
50 hour. Range Rover paint correction and detail

Black Range Rover Supercharged in for a mini restoration detail. Previous owner really neglected the car and the new owner wanted it back to new inside and out.

Some shots outside before I got to wash the car

Began with wheels and tires, I raised the suspension setting to its highest and got started on the wheel wells.

Tires before...

After..

Wheel well before..

Cleaned with various brushes...

Car was foamed with a mild degreaser and washed with citrus soap before being pulled inside.

After claying part of the hood

I re-dried the car and gave it 3 alcohol wipedowns before starting correction... after washing off some prior glaze I had to make sure everything was clean and stripped. Underneath the finish was worse than I initially though.

Measured the finish with the PTG and saw very consistent readings.

I assessed about 10 single or cluster scratches that would need wetsanding, first of which was on the passenger door.

Onto correction...

The "J" hook scratch and surrounding area was sanded with 1500, 2000 and 3000 grit

After correcting, 95% of the J hook was removed, the last part of the tail seen just above the door handle still remained.

Before rear door

After passenger door

Some 50/50s... Correction included 3-4 passes with a wool pad, followed by foam compounding than polishing... finishing was done later

Little closer with just the infratech this time and a camera flash

Close up

Video 50/50

Wool and foam compounding, 2100+rpm as needed

Last edited by Smoke; 02-11-2010 at 08:32 PM.
Old 02-11-2010, 08:30 PM
Teamspeed Senior Member
Smoke You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!Smoke You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!Smoke You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!Smoke You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!Smoke You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!Smoke You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!Smoke You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!Smoke You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!Smoke You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!Smoke You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!Smoke You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!
Lower rocker 50/50

I usually start with the hood for correction but since it needed some more wetsanding and would get messy with soap and water I left it until later in the process

Took a few extra readings to ensure I could sand safely

Had my paper soaking for about 40minutes, various grits

Got the wetsanding done and started correcting the raised sides of the hood

Before

After

Difference in clarity...

Front bumper had some issues as well

The plastic hood vent cover needed polishing as well. Some hard water etching could not be removed with hand polishing so I used the DA and a 2 step process to correct it

Before, a bit dull

During

After 2 passes of compoudning

You'd be suprised what you can pull out of plastic when you "think" its already clean

Came back again with a softer pad and lighter cleaner polish

50/50

Same deal on the side vents only waterspots were the issue as much as runs in the plstic

Before

After

After

Old 02-11-2010, 08:31 PM
Teamspeed Senior Member
Hand polished behind the handles, unfortunately anything short of wool compounding wouldnt do much help

Before I went into the final finishing stage I began on the interior first

The owner pointed out the leather didnt feel or smell like leather anymore and I suggested the leatherique treatment.

I have only done this once before and the second time around I tried some new methods to help the process.

Goal was simply to get rid of the mild shine on the seats, bring back some suppleness and give it a natural look.

Began with a through vacuum of the seats and crevices,

Before applying the oil I heated up the seats with the heat gun to soften up the pores and allow for the RO to spread a little easier

Massaged in the rejuvenator oil by hand

Ive been told the leatherique kit works best with time and heat... time wasnt and issue but heat was as my garage was about 68degrees with the heat on full blast so again the heat gun came in handy.

So after applying the rejuvenator oil I used the heat gun on low setting and worked over the leather.

I did this about 4 times in a 24hr. period
Also applied the RO to the steering wheel in hopes to get rid of the grime and oily look... this stuff is thick!

Same process was repeated for the passenger seat

Passenger seat before

All covered

After sitting overnight the seats absorbed a good bit of the oil, once again I hit them with the heat gun

Fast forward a few more hours to make a full day of sitting and it was time to remove the rejuv. oil and proceed with the 2nd step of the process

Spray on the pristine clean and work it in with a brush

Use a hot damp towel to wipe away the excess product and see what you left with

Nice matte finish on the leather, no more greesy steering wheel

All finished

Definitely helped with mattifying (own word) the leather and restoring the supple feel, these seats werent really jacked up so I'd like to see how well this kit does on other cars

Old 02-11-2010, 08:31 PM
Teamspeed Senior Member

I finished the rest of the interior work. Made sure all the door jambs and small compartments were sorted out as needed

Gave the spare tire compartment a vacuum, sealed the wheel with a quick coat of JS109 and dressed the tire, just wanted everything to look uniform same on on the exterior

Worlds longest exhaust tip cleaned and polished :giggle:

Before LSP I pulled the car outside to inspect my work, sun wasnt strong enough to show a whole lot

Back inside to finish everything, the car seemed to have an endless need of work, I will be so happy to work on a 2door coupe next week.

Started on the trimwork, 50/50 on side mirror

Engine got a mild cleaning

Before

After

The front window cowl was shot... faded gray with scrapes in it, after extensive cleaning and several coats of dressing it got only marginally better

Before

After

I usually wait to do the pedal section last, moving the car forward and back in the garage just gets it dirty again anyways

Did some finishing touches cleaning up all the vents and door jambs

Before the final DI water wipedown I dusted the car down... this thing has really earned its keep in the garage

Finished pictures

Quick halogen shot with all the other lights off...

Video:

Spent just over 50hrs. from start to finish. Big writeup and I thank you for taking the time to read it.

Old 02-11-2010, 09:19 PM
Teamspeed Pro
LABrit has a reputation beyond reputeLABrit has a reputation beyond reputeLABrit has a reputation beyond reputeLABrit has a reputation beyond reputeLABrit has a reputation beyond reputeLABrit has a reputation beyond reputeLABrit has a reputation beyond reputeLABrit has a reputation beyond reputeLABrit has a reputation beyond reputeLABrit has a reputation beyond reputeLABrit has a reputation beyond repute
Absolutely spectacular work, as usual.

Your attention to detail (pun intended) both in your work and the write-ups is fantastic.

Old 02-11-2010, 09:28 PM
Teamspeed Pro
Zorro has a reputation beyond reputeZorro has a reputation beyond reputeZorro has a reputation beyond reputeZorro has a reputation beyond reputeZorro has a reputation beyond reputeZorro has a reputation beyond reputeZorro has a reputation beyond reputeZorro has a reputation beyond reputeZorro has a reputation beyond reputeZorro has a reputation beyond reputeZorro has a reputation beyond repute
Holy mackarel that truck was devastated!!!! I can't believe someone would let it go that bad, and I can't believe you were able to get it back.

Old 02-11-2010, 09:38 PM
Teamspeed Pro
PatrickHenry has a reputation beyond reputePatrickHenry has a reputation beyond reputePatrickHenry has a reputation beyond reputePatrickHenry has a reputation beyond reputePatrickHenry has a reputation beyond reputePatrickHenry has a reputation beyond reputePatrickHenry has a reputation beyond reputePatrickHenry has a reputation beyond reputePatrickHenry has a reputation beyond reputePatrickHenry has a reputation beyond reputePatrickHenry has a reputation beyond repute
informative, thanks!

Old 02-11-2010, 09:44 PM
Teamspeed Pro
littlebulldogg has a reputation beyond reputelittlebulldogg has a reputation beyond reputelittlebulldogg has a reputation beyond reputelittlebulldogg has a reputation beyond reputelittlebulldogg has a reputation beyond reputelittlebulldogg has a reputation beyond reputelittlebulldogg has a reputation beyond reputelittlebulldogg has a reputation beyond reputelittlebulldogg has a reputation beyond reputelittlebulldogg has a reputation beyond reputelittlebulldogg has a reputation beyond repute
great work as usual!!

Old 02-11-2010, 10:00 PM
Teamspeed Senior Member
ttowsontt has a brilliant futurettowsontt has a brilliant futurettowsontt has a brilliant futurettowsontt has a brilliant futurettowsontt has a brilliant futurettowsontt has a brilliant futurettowsontt has a brilliant futurettowsontt has a brilliant futurettowsontt has a brilliant futurettowsontt has a brilliant futurettowsontt has a brilliant future
holy crap thats awesome. the seats look brand new! never seen work on leather like that

Old 02-12-2010, 06:23 AM
AMGFanatic
MeanMachine has a reputation beyond reputeMeanMachine has a reputation beyond reputeMeanMachine has a reputation beyond reputeMeanMachine has a reputation beyond reputeMeanMachine has a reputation beyond reputeMeanMachine has a reputation beyond reputeMeanMachine has a reputation beyond reputeMeanMachine has a reputation beyond reputeMeanMachine has a reputation beyond reputeMeanMachine has a reputation beyond reputeMeanMachine has a reputation beyond repute
I will try to do the same with my cars interior, keep the leather conditioner for 24hours and coverup the seats

Quick Reply: 50 hour. Range Rover paint correction and detail