Notices
Boxster | Cayman The Porsche Boxster & Cayman Discussion Forum.

Boxster Spyder: Production numbers??

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2012, 03:10 PM
Teamspeed Rookie
porsche is an unknown quantity at this point
Boxster Spyder: Production numbers??

Hi there guys,

I am new here... and I am obsessed by the Boxster Spyder. I am looking for the most details and infos possible about it.

I would like to know if there is any official or approximative informations about the production numbers.

How many Boxster Spyder 987 were built? How many were built for the US market, etc...

Thanks,

Old 04-12-2012, 03:12 PM
Teamspeed Pro
"The JC" has a reputation beyond repute"The JC" has a reputation beyond repute"The JC" has a reputation beyond repute"The JC" has a reputation beyond repute"The JC" has a reputation beyond repute"The JC" has a reputation beyond repute"The JC" has a reputation beyond repute"The JC" has a reputation beyond repute"The JC" has a reputation beyond repute"The JC" has a reputation beyond repute"The JC" has a reputation beyond repute
Better question is why do all the ones I find for sale have that damn PDK box and the old man seats?

Old 04-12-2012, 03:33 PM
Teamspeed Rookie
porsche is an unknown quantity at this point
Well, thanks to qualify your question better than mine

but seriously I really want to know the production numbers, yet you still right by saying most of the Spyder available for sale are PDK... maybe because all the manual Spyder owners are in love with their toy and want to keep it...

Anyhow still waiting for answers...

Old 04-14-2012, 02:53 AM
Teamspeed Senior Member
z356 has a reputation beyond reputez356 has a reputation beyond reputez356 has a reputation beyond reputez356 has a reputation beyond reputez356 has a reputation beyond reputez356 has a reputation beyond reputez356 has a reputation beyond reputez356 has a reputation beyond reputez356 has a reputation beyond reputez356 has a reputation beyond reputez356 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by porsche
I would like to know if there is any official or approximative informations about the production numbers.

How many Boxster Spyder 987 were built? How many were built for the US market, etc...
I was told last summer by German employee that works for Porsche that around 2000 Spyders were built for all world markets during its limited 1 1/2 year production. In addition, we at Rennlist have been told my someone affiliated with PCNA that just under 700 MY2011 and 125 MY2012 Spyders were built for the US market. To my knowledge, Porsche has not yet revealed official figures for ROW and US Spyder production. Confirmation (or corrections) from those with 'inside' knowledge of Spyder production numbers & sales in US & ROW (e.g. someone working at PCNA or PAG) would be extremely helpful in helping us determine the exact totals!

It is my impression, from following this market closely for over 1 1/2 years, that the Spyder is one of the most rare & limited production model in recent Porsche history. To put in perspective, a Spyder is more numerous than the recent Limited Edition 4.0 .2gt3 RS and gt2 RS's, but less common than the total productions of EACH of these models - .1 gt3's, .1 gt3RS's in '08/'09, .2 gt3's, .2 gt3 RS's in '10/'11 and '12 Cayman R's! Why this is so -that so few Spyders were produced- merits further discussion...and speculation!

Originally Posted by JC919
Better question is why do all the ones I find for sale have that damn PDK box and the old man seats?
That is simple to answer. It is because most US dealers thought that a Spyder with those specs would be easier for them to sell. So that is how they ordered them. When actual end-users custom ordered their own Spyders, a majority seemed to have opted for the manual transmission and the sport bucket seats! We have some data points in various forums that seem to prove this pattern of ordering.

Saludos,
Eduardo
Carmel

Old 08-13-2012, 08:13 PM
Teamspeed Rookie
Wayne at the Beach has a reputation beyond reputeWayne at the Beach has a reputation beyond reputeWayne at the Beach has a reputation beyond reputeWayne at the Beach has a reputation beyond reputeWayne at the Beach has a reputation beyond reputeWayne at the Beach has a reputation beyond reputeWayne at the Beach has a reputation beyond reputeWayne at the Beach has a reputation beyond reputeWayne at the Beach has a reputation beyond reputeWayne at the Beach has a reputation beyond reputeWayne at the Beach has a reputation beyond repute
I picked up a one owner, 2011 Boxster Spyder in January 2012 with 5200 miles on it. Its Aqua Blue Metallic, beautiful color. I have only seen one other, in white. I love the fact that the Spyder is so rare. Everyone asks me about it because it doesn't look like anything else.

Old 08-14-2012, 10:03 AM
Teamspeed Pro
"The JC" has a reputation beyond repute"The JC" has a reputation beyond repute"The JC" has a reputation beyond repute"The JC" has a reputation beyond repute"The JC" has a reputation beyond repute"The JC" has a reputation beyond repute"The JC" has a reputation beyond repute"The JC" has a reputation beyond repute"The JC" has a reputation beyond repute"The JC" has a reputation beyond repute"The JC" has a reputation beyond repute
Congrats, post up pics and specs please

Old 08-14-2012, 10:58 AM
Teamspeed Pro
pearlcoupeg35 has a reputation beyond reputepearlcoupeg35 has a reputation beyond reputepearlcoupeg35 has a reputation beyond reputepearlcoupeg35 has a reputation beyond reputepearlcoupeg35 has a reputation beyond reputepearlcoupeg35 has a reputation beyond reputepearlcoupeg35 has a reputation beyond reputepearlcoupeg35 has a reputation beyond reputepearlcoupeg35 has a reputation beyond reputepearlcoupeg35 has a reputation beyond reputepearlcoupeg35 has a reputation beyond repute
I had a Spyder in a 6 Speed manual with "old man" seats. I guess that is rare combo? I loved the car and put 11500 miles on it within the 13 months i owned it. Just needed a more practical car as it was my ONLY car at the time. Hence the Cayman R --- which, i would also love to know the production numbers on...

Old 08-14-2012, 11:05 AM
Teamspeed Pro
Guest has a reputation beyond reputeGuest has a reputation beyond reputeGuest has a reputation beyond reputeGuest has a reputation beyond reputeGuest has a reputation beyond reputeGuest has a reputation beyond reputeGuest has a reputation beyond reputeGuest has a reputation beyond reputeGuest has a reputation beyond reputeGuest has a reputation beyond reputeGuest has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by pearlcoupeg35
I had a Spyder in a 6 Speed manual with "old man" seats. I guess that is rare combo? I loved the car and put 11500 miles on it within the 13 months i owned it. Just needed a more practical car as it was my ONLY car at the time. Hence the Cayman R --- which, i would also love to know the production numbers on...
Jon,

Are you still planning on a 981 or are you going to keep the Cayman R?

Old 08-14-2012, 12:13 PM
Teamspeed Senior Member
PorscheBoy has a reputation beyond reputePorscheBoy has a reputation beyond reputePorscheBoy has a reputation beyond reputePorscheBoy has a reputation beyond reputePorscheBoy has a reputation beyond reputePorscheBoy has a reputation beyond reputePorscheBoy has a reputation beyond reputePorscheBoy has a reputation beyond reputePorscheBoy has a reputation beyond reputePorscheBoy has a reputation beyond reputePorscheBoy has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by "The JC"
this.

Old 08-14-2012, 06:33 PM
Teamspeed Pro
pearlcoupeg35 has a reputation beyond reputepearlcoupeg35 has a reputation beyond reputepearlcoupeg35 has a reputation beyond reputepearlcoupeg35 has a reputation beyond reputepearlcoupeg35 has a reputation beyond reputepearlcoupeg35 has a reputation beyond reputepearlcoupeg35 has a reputation beyond reputepearlcoupeg35 has a reputation beyond reputepearlcoupeg35 has a reputation beyond reputepearlcoupeg35 has a reputation beyond reputepearlcoupeg35 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Guest
Jon,

Are you still planning on a 981 or are you going to keep the Cayman R?
Gonna keep the R for a bit......hope to add to it instead of trade it in for something. Would love to get a 981 for next summer.....and a Macun for next winter

Quick Reply: Boxster Spyder: Production numbers??