Notices
Boxster | Cayman The Porsche Boxster & Cayman Discussion Forum.

Cayman engine swap?

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2012, 07:29 PM
Teamspeed Rookie
The Automotive Aficionado is an unknown quantity at this point
When I originally thought about this I was of the mind set of just getting the rolling chassis and starting from there. The only thing I can't do is the body work. Everything else I am not going to worry about.

JCay, what are your ultimate plans for your project?

Old 02-23-2012, 08:26 AM
TEAMSPEED.COM
Harris@TPCRacing You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!Harris@TPCRacing You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!Harris@TPCRacing You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!Harris@TPCRacing You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!Harris@TPCRacing You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!Harris@TPCRacing You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!Harris@TPCRacing You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!Harris@TPCRacing You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!Harris@TPCRacing You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!Harris@TPCRacing You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!Harris@TPCRacing You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!
With our 3.7L Turbo Cayman, we are at 600HP. Here is a video of the car on the dyno and also Mike explaining the dyno chart.

TPC Racing: 600HP 3.7L Cayman Turbo - YouTube

Also, here is the build thread I put together around Christmas time when we got the car running.

https://teamspeed.com/forums/boxster...dle-power.html

Old 02-23-2012, 12:21 PM
Teamspeed Rookie
Is the 3.7 based off of the Cayman block?

Old 02-23-2012, 04:48 PM
TEAMSPEED.COM
Harris@TPCRacing You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!Harris@TPCRacing You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!Harris@TPCRacing You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!Harris@TPCRacing You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!Harris@TPCRacing You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!Harris@TPCRacing You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!Harris@TPCRacing You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!Harris@TPCRacing You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!Harris@TPCRacing You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!Harris@TPCRacing You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!Harris@TPCRacing You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!
We take the block from your Cayman and machine it to a 3.7

Old 02-23-2012, 11:16 PM
Teamspeed Rookie
Are the cylinder walls still thick enough to handle that power for the long run?

Old 02-24-2012, 05:30 AM
Teamspeed Pro
JCay has a reputation beyond reputeJCay has a reputation beyond reputeJCay has a reputation beyond reputeJCay has a reputation beyond reputeJCay has a reputation beyond reputeJCay has a reputation beyond reputeJCay has a reputation beyond reputeJCay has a reputation beyond reputeJCay has a reputation beyond reputeJCay has a reputation beyond reputeJCay has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by The Automotive Aficionado
When I originally thought about this I was of the mind set of just getting the rolling chassis and starting from there. The only thing I can't do is the body work. Everything else I am not going to worry about.

JCay, what are your ultimate plans for your project?
Sounds like a good plan.

My ultimate plan is to build the best porsche this side of a carrera gt. The car will be used on both street and track.

Old 02-24-2012, 05:46 AM
Teamspeed Pro
pearlcoupeg35 has a reputation beyond reputepearlcoupeg35 has a reputation beyond reputepearlcoupeg35 has a reputation beyond reputepearlcoupeg35 has a reputation beyond reputepearlcoupeg35 has a reputation beyond reputepearlcoupeg35 has a reputation beyond reputepearlcoupeg35 has a reputation beyond reputepearlcoupeg35 has a reputation beyond reputepearlcoupeg35 has a reputation beyond reputepearlcoupeg35 has a reputation beyond reputepearlcoupeg35 has a reputation beyond repute
I love the idea and would do it if i had the cheese. I think a GT3 3.8 motor with titanium exhaust would fit quite nicely in my Cayman R

That being said, for a lot less money the same (or similar) horsepower numbers can be had by getting a TPC Turbo Kit on a nice Cayman S. Something to think about....

Old 02-24-2012, 10:14 AM
TEAMSPEED.COM
Originally Posted by The Automotive Aficionado
Are the cylinder walls still thick enough to handle that power for the long run?
Yes. There is a change in material when we have the block machined. For more detailed info on the specs, give Tom Chan a call at the shop 410.799.7223

Old 02-24-2012, 12:19 PM
Teamspeed Rookie
Oh you put new liners in it? Darton sleeves I take it?