Notices
Boxster | Cayman The Porsche Boxster & Cayman Discussion Forum.

DIY Towhook Plate holder

Old 04-24-2009, 02:16 PM
Teamspeed Junior Member
porsches4ed has a reputation beyond reputeporsches4ed has a reputation beyond reputeporsches4ed has a reputation beyond reputeporsches4ed has a reputation beyond reputeporsches4ed has a reputation beyond reputeporsches4ed has a reputation beyond reputeporsches4ed has a reputation beyond reputeporsches4ed has a reputation beyond reputeporsches4ed has a reputation beyond reputeporsches4ed has a reputation beyond reputeporsches4ed has a reputation beyond repute
DIY Towhook Plate holder

Tow Hook/Front Plate Holder

Cost: approx. $49.95
Difficulty: 3 out of 10

You can purchase one from ebay or a few other websites

no need to drill holes in your beautiful new porsche bumper.

I purchased screws, nuts, etc. from my local Home Depot:
-12mm-1.75 hex nut steel 030699362486 $.42
-aluminum plate 030699447107 $3.38
-1/4"-20x1/2" round head slotted screw 030699332113 $.98
-1/4"-20 cap nut (2 needed,packed individually) 030699323814 $.98
-5mm 8x30mm machine screw (2 packs) 030699724789 $.88
-m5-8 hex nut (2 packs) 030699001781 $.41
-flat washer 5mm 030699012282 $.36
-#8 hinged scr cover black (2 packs) 030699899289 $.62
-factory porsche plate holder (should have came with your car)
-your favorite frame bracket
-sharpie or any marker

You do not have to use the ones I purchased but it gives you an idea of what you need. I included the sku#s.

Cut the aluminum plate to desired length, you do not have to use the factory plate holder but I did.

once cut you will need to flip it over to mark the holes on the front with your marker.

drill the holes using drill bit that is a little larger than the screws.

now check to make sure the holes line up. I forgot to take a picture but also drill a large hole for the tow hook. Placement is up to you, you can also drill a few side by side so that you can move the tag over. I just drilled mine in the middle.

now put the 12mm nut on that you purchased on the bottom and use the thinner one on top that the hook came with.

do not tighten it down, that will need to be done later after you tighten the plate on.

put the flathead screws with the nut caps on.

put on the aluminum plate with the hook attached.

put on the end caps, tighten them down.

using the cap covers put the 5mm 8x30mm screws on, I used the black caps because it looks cleaner.

on the back use the washer and lock washers, I forgot to get the bottom set. 30mm is a little long I couldnt find shorter ones but it clears the bumper.

tighten them down and close the caps.

put the tow hook on the use a screw driver to tighten the nut.

clears the bumper perfect.

another thing you can do is drill a hole on your plate so you can still use the hook quickly for easy hook ups.

maybe for another article...

Old 04-24-2009, 02:48 PM
Teamspeed Pro
Guest has a reputation beyond reputeGuest has a reputation beyond reputeGuest has a reputation beyond reputeGuest has a reputation beyond reputeGuest has a reputation beyond reputeGuest has a reputation beyond reputeGuest has a reputation beyond reputeGuest has a reputation beyond reputeGuest has a reputation beyond reputeGuest has a reputation beyond reputeGuest has a reputation beyond repute
Wink

Nice state flag.

Old 04-24-2009, 02:53 PM
Teamspeed Pro
tractorcrusher has a reputation beyond reputetractorcrusher has a reputation beyond reputetractorcrusher has a reputation beyond reputetractorcrusher has a reputation beyond reputetractorcrusher has a reputation beyond reputetractorcrusher has a reputation beyond reputetractorcrusher has a reputation beyond reputetractorcrusher has a reputation beyond reputetractorcrusher has a reputation beyond reputetractorcrusher has a reputation beyond reputetractorcrusher has a reputation beyond repute
Very cool, I bet you could sell these like crazy if you were to start manufacturing them... Some states are very strict about front license plates, and this is a brilliant way to mount one when you need it and remove it when not needed!

Old 04-24-2009, 03:00 PM
Ara
Teamspeed Pro
Ara has a reputation beyond reputeAra has a reputation beyond reputeAra has a reputation beyond reputeAra has a reputation beyond reputeAra has a reputation beyond reputeAra has a reputation beyond reputeAra has a reputation beyond reputeAra has a reputation beyond reputeAra has a reputation beyond reputeAra has a reputation beyond reputeAra has a reputation beyond repute
Someone already makes these, let me see if I can find it.

Old 04-24-2009, 03:05 PM
Teamspeed Pro
"The JC" has a reputation beyond repute"The JC" has a reputation beyond repute"The JC" has a reputation beyond repute"The JC" has a reputation beyond repute"The JC" has a reputation beyond repute"The JC" has a reputation beyond repute"The JC" has a reputation beyond repute"The JC" has a reputation beyond repute"The JC" has a reputation beyond repute"The JC" has a reputation beyond repute"The JC" has a reputation beyond repute
Thats really cool, I've been meaning to get one of these, but hell I'll just make my own instead.

Old 04-24-2009, 03:06 PM
Ara
Teamspeed Pro
Ara has a reputation beyond reputeAra has a reputation beyond reputeAra has a reputation beyond reputeAra has a reputation beyond reputeAra has a reputation beyond reputeAra has a reputation beyond reputeAra has a reputation beyond reputeAra has a reputation beyond reputeAra has a reputation beyond reputeAra has a reputation beyond reputeAra has a reputation beyond repute
Found it. GoMiniGo makes them for many different cars.

'NO HOLES' LPB Kit - GoMiniGo-Home of Innovative Products for your car