Notices
Boxster | Cayman The Porsche Boxster & Cayman Discussion Forum.

Rumormill: Porsche developing Baby Boxster, a return of the 356

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2008, 10:52 PM
DJ
Teamspeed Pro
DJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond repute
Lightbulb Rumormill: Porsche developing Baby Boxster, a return of the 356

Volkswagen is set to debut a mid-engine concept at this year's LA Auto Show, and an Audi R3 derivative that could replace the TT is reportedly also being considered. With Porsche's increased stake in VAG, it was just a matter of time before rumors of sharing this mid-engine platform between VW, Audi and Porsche began to surface, and a new model destined to slot in below the Boxster is the obvious conclusion.

Once again, CAR is leading the speculative charge, with sources suggesting that Porsche will use the mid-engine architecture to revive the 356 marque – not the 914 moniker – to create a baby Boxster priced around £20,000-35,000 and produced in very small numbers.

Unlike the stillborn Audi R4, the R3 and its Porsche sibling wouldn't encroach on Boxster sales due to their limited availability. Fixed roof and convertible versions of both models are planned, but engine choices would be limited to turbocharged four-cylinders displacing between 1.2- and 2.0-liters and ranging in output from 105 hp to 280 hp. Diesel variants could also be offered in the Audi, but Quattro all-wheel-drive wouldn't be part of package due to weight and friction penalties.

It's a very compelling proposition, particularly since the new architecture is reportedly being developed to accept everything from electric drivetrains to hybrids, and with a curb weight around 2,200 pounds. But don't expect anything to come to market until 2012 or 2013 at the earliest, assuming that Porsche doesn't get cold feet and kills off the project before it leaves the drawing board.

Old 09-26-2008, 11:12 PM
Teamspeed Pro
Russ has a reputation beyond reputeRuss has a reputation beyond reputeRuss has a reputation beyond reputeRuss has a reputation beyond reputeRuss has a reputation beyond reputeRuss has a reputation beyond reputeRuss has a reputation beyond reputeRuss has a reputation beyond reputeRuss has a reputation beyond reputeRuss has a reputation beyond reputeRuss has a reputation beyond repute
Seems like an interesting idea

Old 09-27-2008, 01:14 AM
Teamspeed Senior Member
icruze has a reputation beyond reputeicruze has a reputation beyond reputeicruze has a reputation beyond reputeicruze has a reputation beyond reputeicruze has a reputation beyond reputeicruze has a reputation beyond reputeicruze has a reputation beyond reputeicruze has a reputation beyond reputeicruze has a reputation beyond reputeicruze has a reputation beyond reputeicruze has a reputation beyond repute
Not gonna happen. I just don't see how it would benefit Porsche.

Old 10-13-2008, 10:14 PM
Teamspeed Pro
Alzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Lyly
Has anyone ever seen this knife before and can it really be used on a bayonet? It is said that it can fit together with a AK47 rifle. Maybe it is a copy of some old military knife that was used back in one of the wars? The website that it is on is FREE Shipping Of Wholesale Items China Direct Wholesaler Distributor I am wondering if it can fit on any other types of guns or rifles. Does it look like something that would be used by Chinese, Koreans, or Russians. Here is a link to the knives page 100's Of Knives Wholesale Online Ordering Shipped Direct From China and it is the knife with the number 406023 right at the top of the page.Any help would be appreciated before I order it all the way from China

Anyway... I don't see how this would be a good idea for Porsche. The Boxster is already a baby 911, so why on earth would you want something even smaller? I just don't understand why Porsche would need to compete with cars like the Saturn Sky/Pontiac Solstice, Mazda Miata, etc. It'd dilute the brand even further into territory that Volkswagen itself should clearly be prime for inhabiting.

Old 10-18-2008, 01:42 PM
Teamspeed Rookie
jeci is an unknown quantity at this point
I have doubts about this happens at all!

Old 10-30-2008, 02:10 PM
Teamspeed Rookie
midngn is an unknown quantity at this point
I would buy that car. Seems unlikely that they would build it. It would cheapen the brand. I can definately see that with a VW badge though. That would be hot.