Notices
Aviation The Teamspeed Aviation Forum.

Recent Cessna Citation crash

Old 03-20-2012, 01:21 PM
Teamspeed Senior Member
bradb1us has a reputation beyond reputebradb1us has a reputation beyond reputebradb1us has a reputation beyond reputebradb1us has a reputation beyond reputebradb1us has a reputation beyond reputebradb1us has a reputation beyond reputebradb1us has a reputation beyond reputebradb1us has a reputation beyond reputebradb1us has a reputation beyond reputebradb1us has a reputation beyond reputebradb1us has a reputation beyond repute
Recent Cessna Citation crash

Sad to read about this:

http://www.ainonline.com/aviation-ne...north-carolina

A single-pilot-certified Cessna Citation 501 crashed Thursday, March 16, afternoon while on approach to Rwy 25 at Macon County Airport in Franklin, N.C. An eyewitness told AIN the aircraft was “too high and too fast” crossing the runway threshold to safely land.

Rather than execute a missed approach and enter a visual traffic pattern for a second try, the pilot began a steep left turn while attempting to lose altitude. The turn became a spiral as the aircraft rolled out lower, but still at a high speed. As the pilot evidently attempted to force the aircraft down to the 5,000-foot runway, the Citation hit the surface, nose gear first, and bounced back into the air.

The same witness said that as the pilot appeared to attempt a go-around after the bounce, the right wing caught the ground and the aircraft cartwheeled, bursting into flames. All five people aboard the aircraft were killed.

An NTSB inspector on the scene said the owner/pilot had logged approximately 1,100 hours total flight time, with about 200 of them in the Citation. While high terrain near the airport translates into circling-only IFR minimums of 1,600 feet AGL, weather overhead the airport was good VFR with nearly calm winds at the time of the accident.

Old 03-20-2012, 01:46 PM
F yeah!!! tit got me a silver bar..
La Artist has a reputation beyond reputeLa Artist has a reputation beyond reputeLa Artist has a reputation beyond reputeLa Artist has a reputation beyond reputeLa Artist has a reputation beyond reputeLa Artist has a reputation beyond reputeLa Artist has a reputation beyond reputeLa Artist has a reputation beyond reputeLa Artist has a reputation beyond reputeLa Artist has a reputation beyond reputeLa Artist has a reputation beyond repute
Sounds fishy for a 1100 hour pilot to force the aircraft down like that in VFR conditions, after realizing that he is to fast.

I bet there was some issue.

Old 03-20-2012, 07:34 PM
ECB
Teamspeed Pro
ECB has a reputation beyond reputeECB has a reputation beyond reputeECB has a reputation beyond reputeECB has a reputation beyond reputeECB has a reputation beyond reputeECB has a reputation beyond reputeECB has a reputation beyond reputeECB has a reputation beyond reputeECB has a reputation beyond reputeECB has a reputation beyond reputeECB has a reputation beyond repute
+1

or the so called eye witness was talking trash..

Old 03-23-2012, 01:33 PM
Teamspeed Senior Member
Insman is a jewel in the roughInsman is a jewel in the roughInsman is a jewel in the roughInsman is a jewel in the roughInsman is a jewel in the roughInsman is a jewel in the roughInsman is a jewel in the roughInsman is a jewel in the roughInsman is a jewel in the roughInsman is a jewel in the roughInsman is a jewel in the rough
That is sad for sure.. Even though single pilot certified to fly the aircraft, I personally would have a second on board just for safety precautions if nothing else. What do you do if you are single pilot and suffer a stroke with lives on board and nobody else to land the bird ?

Old 03-23-2012, 01:34 PM
Teamspeed's Howitzer
STOPPIE has a reputation beyond reputeSTOPPIE has a reputation beyond reputeSTOPPIE has a reputation beyond reputeSTOPPIE has a reputation beyond reputeSTOPPIE has a reputation beyond reputeSTOPPIE has a reputation beyond reputeSTOPPIE has a reputation beyond reputeSTOPPIE has a reputation beyond reputeSTOPPIE has a reputation beyond reputeSTOPPIE has a reputation beyond reputeSTOPPIE has a reputation beyond repute
good grief.

Old 03-23-2012, 01:46 PM
F yeah!!! tit got me a silver bar..
La Artist has a reputation beyond reputeLa Artist has a reputation beyond reputeLa Artist has a reputation beyond reputeLa Artist has a reputation beyond reputeLa Artist has a reputation beyond reputeLa Artist has a reputation beyond reputeLa Artist has a reputation beyond reputeLa Artist has a reputation beyond reputeLa Artist has a reputation beyond reputeLa Artist has a reputation beyond reputeLa Artist has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Insman
That is sad for sure.. Even though single pilot certified to fly the aircraft, I personally would have a second on board just for safety precautions if nothing else. What do you do if you are single pilot and suffer a stroke with lives on board and nobody else to land the bird ?
Well that is the reality of many private pilots or pilots in education, they fly around alone for time building, or they bring some friends along.

For commercial purposes single pilot operation is extremely rare, and not advised.

Old 03-23-2012, 02:59 PM
Teamspeed Senior Member
bradb1us has a reputation beyond reputebradb1us has a reputation beyond reputebradb1us has a reputation beyond reputebradb1us has a reputation beyond reputebradb1us has a reputation beyond reputebradb1us has a reputation beyond reputebradb1us has a reputation beyond reputebradb1us has a reputation beyond reputebradb1us has a reputation beyond reputebradb1us has a reputation beyond reputebradb1us has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Insman
I agree...although depending on which Citation and the distance you are flying, a lot of times I was happy to only have one pilot on board. It allowed another passenger to come along.

Old 03-24-2012, 01:13 AM
Teamspeed Senior Member
Insman is a jewel in the roughInsman is a jewel in the roughInsman is a jewel in the roughInsman is a jewel in the roughInsman is a jewel in the roughInsman is a jewel in the roughInsman is a jewel in the roughInsman is a jewel in the roughInsman is a jewel in the roughInsman is a jewel in the roughInsman is a jewel in the rough
Originally Posted by bradb1us
I agree...although depending on which Citation and the distance you are flying, a lot of times I was happy to only have one pilot on board. It allowed another passenger to come along.
I don't disagree with this at all, but I know that even though I would be a passenger on one or most of those flights, I could likely land the bird as a licensed pilot versus some unsuspecting and untrained passenger.

Old 04-26-2012, 10:49 PM
Teamspeed Pro
.:Raul has a reputation beyond repute.:Raul has a reputation beyond repute.:Raul has a reputation beyond repute.:Raul has a reputation beyond repute.:Raul has a reputation beyond repute.:Raul has a reputation beyond repute.:Raul has a reputation beyond repute.:Raul has a reputation beyond repute.:Raul has a reputation beyond repute.:Raul has a reputation beyond repute.:Raul has a reputation beyond repute
I want a Citation X when I get my pilot's license

pretty easy to fly?

Old 04-26-2012, 10:58 PM
Banned
gmaccormack is an unknown quantity at this point
Landings are apparently tricky.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Recent Cessna Citation crash