Notices
Aviation The Teamspeed Aviation Forum.

Piper announces the new PiperSport LSA

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2010, 08:53 PM
Full of Win.
Gobbles has a reputation beyond reputeGobbles has a reputation beyond reputeGobbles has a reputation beyond reputeGobbles has a reputation beyond reputeGobbles has a reputation beyond reputeGobbles has a reputation beyond reputeGobbles has a reputation beyond reputeGobbles has a reputation beyond reputeGobbles has a reputation beyond reputeGobbles has a reputation beyond reputeGobbles has a reputation beyond repute
Piper announces the new PiperSport LSA

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d2Y_i...layer_embedded

Old 02-02-2010, 09:12 PM
Teamspeed Senior Member
Insman is a jewel in the roughInsman is a jewel in the roughInsman is a jewel in the roughInsman is a jewel in the roughInsman is a jewel in the roughInsman is a jewel in the roughInsman is a jewel in the roughInsman is a jewel in the roughInsman is a jewel in the roughInsman is a jewel in the roughInsman is a jewel in the rough
That's a neat little plane with a decent cruise speed and a very attractive fuel burn rate, looks like a winner...

Old 02-02-2010, 09:25 PM
TeH Ears
chokeu2 has a reputation beyond reputechokeu2 has a reputation beyond reputechokeu2 has a reputation beyond reputechokeu2 has a reputation beyond reputechokeu2 has a reputation beyond reputechokeu2 has a reputation beyond reputechokeu2 has a reputation beyond reputechokeu2 has a reputation beyond reputechokeu2 has a reputation beyond reputechokeu2 has a reputation beyond reputechokeu2 has a reputation beyond repute
What a great airplane!

Old 02-02-2010, 09:30 PM
Full of Win.
Gobbles has a reputation beyond reputeGobbles has a reputation beyond reputeGobbles has a reputation beyond reputeGobbles has a reputation beyond reputeGobbles has a reputation beyond reputeGobbles has a reputation beyond reputeGobbles has a reputation beyond reputeGobbles has a reputation beyond reputeGobbles has a reputation beyond reputeGobbles has a reputation beyond reputeGobbles has a reputation beyond repute
Yeah, price aside this is what the LSA market has been waiting for I think. There are several nice LSAs out there, but most look like grown up/hard shell ultra-lights, have no useful load, etc.

Some have even gone carbon fiber to save weight and increase performance, but imagine having to fix that when the inevitable hangar rash occurs or a student dings it somewhere.

The PiperSport is metal construction (much easier to repair), has wing lockers so you can actually take bags, and still has the category's max cruise speed while burning only ~ 5 gph. That's a win all the way around.

I've got something in the works. Will announce more later.

Old 02-02-2010, 09:39 PM
TeH Ears
chokeu2 has a reputation beyond reputechokeu2 has a reputation beyond reputechokeu2 has a reputation beyond reputechokeu2 has a reputation beyond reputechokeu2 has a reputation beyond reputechokeu2 has a reputation beyond reputechokeu2 has a reputation beyond reputechokeu2 has a reputation beyond reputechokeu2 has a reputation beyond reputechokeu2 has a reputation beyond reputechokeu2 has a reputation beyond repute
What timing...

My dad, the A and P just sent me an email on this plane. He wants to revisit the shared/partial ownership purchase discussion we've had in the past...

Decked out at $139....

Old 02-02-2010, 09:57 PM
Full of Win.
Yeah, they aren't cheap. That is their fatal flaw at this point. The LSA certificate is 30 hrs of training, driver's license only, no medical, then they go and price the aircraft this way.

You should do it B. Hopefully they will extend the tax break this year again for aircraft purchases. You can write that ENTIRE $139k off your taxes the first year. Couldn't ask for something with better operating costs either.

Old 02-02-2010, 11:17 PM
Teamspeed's Mr. Spock
stuka has a reputation beyond reputestuka has a reputation beyond reputestuka has a reputation beyond reputestuka has a reputation beyond reputestuka has a reputation beyond reputestuka has a reputation beyond reputestuka has a reputation beyond reputestuka has a reputation beyond reputestuka has a reputation beyond reputestuka has a reputation beyond reputestuka has a reputation beyond repute
Wait, 139K for this plane?

New?

I thought planes were more expensive than that?

What would the running cost be? Like 25K a year?

Old 02-02-2010, 11:20 PM
Full of Win.
Originally Posted by stuka
Wait, 139K for this plane?

New?

I thought planes were more expensive than that?

What would the running cost be? Like 25K a year?
New planes can cost anything --- up into the millions, depending on the plane. Gimme one sec and I'll work up an operating cost summary.

Last edited by Gobbles; 02-02-2010 at 11:27 PM.
Old 02-02-2010, 11:37 PM
Full of Win.
OK here is an operating cost estimate. This is based on $139k purchase price, 10% down, 20 year note, 6.5% interest rate. There is a saying that you should fly at least 100 hrs per year to justify owning, so these costs are based on 100 hrs per year of flight time.

Fixed Costs
Monthly payment $935.00
# hrs per year 100
Annual Inspection $800.00
Insurance $2,300.00
Tie Down $75.00

Total Fixed costs / yr $15,220.00
---per flight hr $152.20

Variable Costs
Oil Consumption / Flight Hr 0.1
Oil / Quart $4.00
Oil / Flight Hr $0.40
Cost of Oil Change $150.00
Hrs between oil change 50
Oil Change cost per flight hour $3.00
Engine/Airframe maintenance / flight hour $4.00
Avionics maintenance / flight hour $3.00

Total Variable costs / yr $1,040.00
Total Variable costs / flight hr $10.40

Total Annual Costs $16,260.00
Annual cost per flight hour $162.60

Those costs are just the aircraft. You would also incur fuel costs. Average right now is north of $4/gal for 100LL, much less if you run it on 93 octane automotive gas. I'll use $4 as an average, at 5 gph, that's another $2k annually.

Here's how to make this worth your while.

Let's say you are the textbook Obama "rich" person at $250k income. If they extend the tax benefit this year, you could write off the entire $139k purchase price off of your income (you will be using this for business, correct?). You can expect to get $30+k back in income tax refund, so your purchase ends up funding itself.

Old 02-03-2010, 12:54 AM
Teamspeed Senior Member
Insman is a jewel in the roughInsman is a jewel in the roughInsman is a jewel in the roughInsman is a jewel in the roughInsman is a jewel in the roughInsman is a jewel in the roughInsman is a jewel in the roughInsman is a jewel in the roughInsman is a jewel in the roughInsman is a jewel in the roughInsman is a jewel in the rough
I didn't buy that expensive of a plane, but it is 3x what this plane costs. Looks and smells like a total bargain to me, but everything is "relative" I guess.

Quick Reply: Piper announces the new PiperSport LSA