Notices
Aston Martin | Jaguar | Lotus Vanquish, Vantage, Rapide, DBS, DB9, XKR, Exige, Elise, Esprit, & More Discussion Forum.

Exciting ride in a supercharged Lotus Exige on track!

Old 09-27-2016, 05:15 PM
Teamspeed Member
Eric_H is an unknown quantity at this point
This one I linked to start at a special place. Lets just say that... he takes a bath. rotfl

Old 09-27-2016, 05:53 PM
Teamspeed Member
Originally Posted by Eric_H
This one I linked to start at a special place. Lets just say that... he takes a bath. rotfl
Hummm... I posted a link that starts it at 13m 05s (or 785s) but the forum starts it at the beginning and does not allow me to edit my post.

Advance the video in post#11 to 13mins 5seconds!

Code:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Mubu0rOx84&t=785s

Old 12-07-2016, 05:11 PM
Teamspeed Member
Back to Hallett again but this time in a different direction!

I found I really like this track - both ways! Too bad it is 4hrs away from me.

After in-car video of my fastest lap, I added some (well, a lot) of outside (track side) video - both in slow motion and normal speeds... kinda fun to watch (at least I thought so)!

Old 01-27-2017, 03:21 PM
Teamspeed Member
A little chase video

How awesome is it to try to chase a Lamborghini Aventador around the track? Super awesome!

This video includes some closed road course scenes of an Aventador, then a little 350z hooning @2:48, continues with a Corvette and Porsche whoopsie @5:14 and as a Bonus finally ends with a spinning Mustang... the only spin I caught on camera that weekend.

Old 03-04-2017, 11:25 PM
Teamspeed Member
Assetto Corsa vs the Lotus Exige and Elise

The game/sim looks great, I wish it were like the real thing.

I received this question from an Assetto Corsa enthusiast:
------------------------------
Hi Eric, I'm speaking to you to ask some questions about the Lotus Exige, we are debating a forum talking about this car, how easy it is to produce a spin. The forum is about a simulator called "Assetto Corsa" very popular in the world of simracing, this simulator has several lotus, elise, demand, evora and more.

The lotus elise and demands in this simulator is very clingy to track, there is no possibility of losing grip on your rear wheels, you can enter very fast in curve and release the accelerator and never unbalance the rear, also if you do flywheel movements It is not possible to unbalance with heavily inflated tires, it does not matter if you use slicks or road tires, it does not matter if the track is very cold or very hot. Here I show you a video in action of the simulator doing crazy things Lotus Elise SC:

If you manage to lose grip of your rear wheels it is very easy to recover and you can never make a spin. I would like to know your opinion, experience and wisdom about this car that you have driven, about whether it is common for this car to lose grip on its rear wheels, if it is common to get a spin, everything you know about the subject. Thank you very much! Your input is very welcome in the forum. (Sorry for my language but this is my native language, I am from Spain)

-----------------------------------------------------
This is my answer (yeah this is the short version)

Hi There. First, your English is better than my Spanish. This is complicated answer. I have only played that game once on a Xbox One that had cheap steering wheel with no feedback. I didn't think the Exige 240 handled at all like a real one so I gave up quickly to drive a car I had never driven in real life before. But I think your video told me what I needed to know.

For all real cars, suspension settings can be adjusted so that it can handle almost the way "you want it to". In general, cars with more weight in the rear are more inclined to spin (over steer). Cars with more weight in the front are more inclined to push or under steer. But, adjusting the suspension you can make a car with more weight in front over steer easily if you like.

From the factory the Elise/Exige have hardly any negative camber in the front. Removing all the factory adjustment shims gets you hardly -1deg. The rear is factory set close to -2deg. That, along with the skinnier front tires helps dial out the over steer (spinning). That is all they could do because still a majority of the weight is in the rear of the car. As I am sure you know, most cars from the factory are set to have as little over steer as possible for safety of most people who have never taken classes to control a car during high performance driving.

So - after changing the factory settings which help it handle better at the track (front ~-2.5deg camber, and rear ~-3deg camber) and adjusting the sway bar, it will aid the car to rotate in corners, it will achieve higher G's and over all it will have more total traction than the factory settings. This helps you get around corners at higher speed, but it also makes the car harder to prevent spins. It is a challenge that I enjoy. For example, if you have a Nissan GTR or Corvette Z06 with all the stability controls on... you will go much faster than me for sure - but.. so what? You are just driving the car in a circle.. what "driving" are you really doing? The car is doing all the hard (fun) work, you are just steering and pushing the gas.

Another aspect that plays into this are the tires. Simply said, the factory Elise Yokohama ADVAN Neova AD07 tires give the most warning before sliding, they also slide slowly, allowing you more time to correct. The factory Exige Yokohama A048 tires give less warning, if they slide they slide faster, but they provide overall more grip. The Hoosier R7 (or A7) that I use provide more grip, but almost make no noise and if they slip, they slip very fast giving very little warning to react. Finally, the factory Exige Cup car Yokohama A005 slicks give the most grip but you can guess this, they also provide the least amount of warning before slipping. Keep in mind, as you use a more aggressive tire, you are able to drive faster (pull more G's) which means even less time to react to something.

In my opinion, Assetto Corsa does not have a realistic simulation of the Elise/Exige in regards to its handling. Maybe with adjustments you can make it more realistic but with no changes to the settings it is not like the real thing. In your video the driver would have spun 10x in real life... and there is NO WAY it would ever under steer like that at that speed.

Finally, I would like people to understand that my "ISPINUWIN" videos are an exaggeration of how easy the car is to spin. Only because I think it is entertaining to watch I put them all together over 8 years worth in videos. That is 100's of hours of driving, much experimenting with settings, and just a lot of play time in the videos (notice I only had one spin in my M3... it is easier to drive, it is 50/50 weight with factory-like street tires)! Since video #2 created almost 1.5yrs ago I have spun the car two to three times because I have my car settings now pretty final. Now most spins are because my R7 tires get old (hard) or I drive them until the belts are showing. Belts don't grip very well.

Anyway - never an easy answer but I hope that helped!

Old 03-05-2017, 07:38 AM
Teamspeed Pro
Rob99 has a little shameless behaviour in the past
Do you transport your car on trailer? Why not testing slicks?

Old 03-12-2017, 06:03 PM
Teamspeed Member
Yup - I do use a trailer... the car is fully street legal but I use Hoosier R7s which are not legal for street. To move to the A005 full slicks is 2x+ more expensive. A7s are a good balance for me between cost and performance.

Old 03-17-2017, 06:24 AM
Teamspeed Pro
Originally Posted by Eric_H
Yup - I do use a trailer... the car is fully street legal but I use Hoosier R7s which are not legal for street. To move to the A005 full slicks is 2x+ more expensive. A7s are a good balance for me between cost and performance.
Hoosier R7s tyres are great!

Old 03-26-2017, 10:48 PM
Teamspeed Member
AiM Smartycam - Original and HD v2.1 Review and Compare

I was playing with compares of my old and newer camera. This video as a few spins, and my best lap thus far at MSR-C 1.7CCW direction.

This video is to review the features of the Smartycam by highlighting some of the primary differences between the original and the newer 2.1 version. Hopefully this will help you decide on your purchase of a Smartycam or help with your decision of whether or not to upgrade from the Smartycam Original to v2.1. I did not touch on any included PC software differences between the two cameras, just the actual camera hardware.

First is a display of example footage from each camera, followed by a list of pros and cons that I thought were important to know.

I tried to keep the example track video both interesting (!!) and reflective of both morning and afternoon sky.

Watch on YouTube and view the video's description for more information.

Old 03-28-2017, 03:38 AM
Teamspeed Pro
The quality of the new one is clearly better.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Exciting ride in a supercharged Lotus Exige on track!