Notices
Aston Martin | Jaguar | Lotus Vanquish, Vantage, Rapide, DBS, DB9, XKR, Exige, Elise, Esprit, & More Discussion Forum.

Lotus Elise subwoofer install - JL Audio Stealthbox

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2011, 09:25 AM
Teamspeed Senior Member
diskreet has a reputation beyond reputediskreet has a reputation beyond reputediskreet has a reputation beyond reputediskreet has a reputation beyond reputediskreet has a reputation beyond reputediskreet has a reputation beyond reputediskreet has a reputation beyond reputediskreet has a reputation beyond reputediskreet has a reputation beyond reputediskreet has a reputation beyond reputediskreet has a reputation beyond repute
Lotus Elise subwoofer install - JL Audio Stealthbox

Just wrapped up installing the JL Audio Stealthbox and Boston Acoustics GTA 502 amplifier in the Elise.

So far, without really pushing the sub, it sounds nice. The Elise has no bottom-end power (music or engine) and the subwoofer really fills in the lows nicely.
With the little bit of rock music I played, the sub hit clearly. Very tight.
The best way I can describe it is that if you'd listen to music for 20 minutes in the car, you wouldn't notice the subwoofer was there. Before, you'd notice how awful the stereo sounded after 20 seconds.
It's not that loud, especially with only 160 watts RMS, but I have yet to give it full power.
Bottom line, it sounds exactly like a 10" sub, in a small sealed box, with only 160 watts RMS, should.

Now, some pics.

Amplifier behind the driver's seat.

All wires are routed under the carpet. The amp is secured by two screws into the plastic rear deck, and industrial-strength Velcro around the other 3 sides.

JL Audio Stealthbox in the passenger footwell.

The stealthbox is attached by 2 big screws, through spacers, to the underside of the dash.

The wires on the right are the only place you can see the new wires, and I've moved the plastic tubing so you can only see that now. That red/orange is the glue used to bond the aluminum, not wires.

This was an enormous pain in the ass, and it took several hours every evening after work for 3 days, but I'm really happy with the results. Hard work, but I no longer have a stereo system I'm embarrassed of.

Old 09-10-2011, 10:52 AM
Banned
Simba has a reputation beyond reputeSimba has a reputation beyond reputeSimba has a reputation beyond reputeSimba has a reputation beyond reputeSimba has a reputation beyond reputeSimba has a reputation beyond reputeSimba has a reputation beyond reputeSimba has a reputation beyond reputeSimba has a reputation beyond reputeSimba has a reputation beyond reputeSimba has a reputation beyond repute
I have the same sub in mind-- works great. I found that it has much better range and clarity if you reverse the polarity, so you might want to try that.

Also, expect the grill to get beat all to hell by passengers. I modified mine to use a W7 style grill made from aluminum round bar.

Old 09-10-2011, 12:01 PM
Teamspeed Senior Member
diskreet has a reputation beyond reputediskreet has a reputation beyond reputediskreet has a reputation beyond reputediskreet has a reputation beyond reputediskreet has a reputation beyond reputediskreet has a reputation beyond reputediskreet has a reputation beyond reputediskreet has a reputation beyond reputediskreet has a reputation beyond reputediskreet has a reputation beyond reputediskreet has a reputation beyond repute
Thanks for the tips.

Not too worried about the grill. My wife can't even reach t since she's only 5' tall. Never seem to have others in the car but when I do ill warn them.

Sent from my ADR6300 using Teamspeed