Notices
991 | 997 | 996 Turbo Porsche's Modern Day Twin Turbo Discussion Forum.

NEED HELP re driving technique/ engine characteristics long disscusion

Old 06-27-2009, 09:06 AM
Teamspeed Pro
PMac has a reputation beyond reputePMac has a reputation beyond reputePMac has a reputation beyond reputePMac has a reputation beyond reputePMac has a reputation beyond reputePMac has a reputation beyond reputePMac has a reputation beyond reputePMac has a reputation beyond reputePMac has a reputation beyond reputePMac has a reputation beyond reputePMac has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by brnsrgn
When going down a hill, the M5 travels at whatever speed I hold the accelerator to. If I lift up on a steep hill, in low in 2nd or third gear, the cars slows down very quickly. The TT doesn't.
Ah, I see what you're saying. That's the difference between engine braking a high-revving (hence low-geared) high-compression normally aspirated M5, and a high-geared low-compression Twin Turbo. I get the same thing in my E60 M5.

Originally Posted by brnsrgn
Also when in second gear, a hard push of the throttle, really jars you forward, much harder than the TT.
Would that not just be turbo lag? This is why the GT3 is regarded as the 'purist's' 911, because of the instant connection between right-foot input and engine output.

Old 06-27-2009, 09:59 AM
Teamspeed's Official Brain Surgeon
brnsrgn has a reputation beyond reputebrnsrgn has a reputation beyond reputebrnsrgn has a reputation beyond reputebrnsrgn has a reputation beyond reputebrnsrgn has a reputation beyond reputebrnsrgn has a reputation beyond reputebrnsrgn has a reputation beyond reputebrnsrgn has a reputation beyond reputebrnsrgn has a reputation beyond reputebrnsrgn has a reputation beyond reputebrnsrgn has a reputation beyond repute
exactly, I think it is the turbo lag, and that the performance of the TT off turbo, is a low compression low horsepower 3.6. Now granted it doesn't take long to change the characteristic, and the TT is a blast. I was just sharing some observations I was having with two high performance, but different cars. I reember one time on 6spd, I made reference to my M5 be a torque monster. A bunch of people jumped all over me and said I didn't know what torque was.

Well now, I can state with certainty, even though the TT has "more" torque than the M5, under routine driving experiences, the M5 has way more torque than the TT.

Old 06-27-2009, 10:00 AM
brnsrgn has a reputation beyond reputebrnsrgn has a reputation beyond reputebrnsrgn has a reputation beyond reputebrnsrgn has a reputation beyond reputebrnsrgn has a reputation beyond reputebrnsrgn has a reputation beyond reputebrnsrgn has a reputation beyond reputebrnsrgn has a reputation beyond reputebrnsrgn has a reputation beyond reputebrnsrgn has a reputation beyond reputebrnsrgn has a reputation beyond repute
I'd be curious to drive the e60 in comparison, as its power band is higher than my e39, but at most rpms', the e39 makes more torque. I'll have to take the time to cheack one out at some point.

Old 06-27-2009, 10:13 AM
Teamspeed Pro
PMac has a reputation beyond reputePMac has a reputation beyond reputePMac has a reputation beyond reputePMac has a reputation beyond reputePMac has a reputation beyond reputePMac has a reputation beyond reputePMac has a reputation beyond reputePMac has a reputation beyond reputePMac has a reputation beyond reputePMac has a reputation beyond reputePMac has a reputation beyond repute
The E60 is definitely a rev-happy engine. To be honest, below about 4,500 rpm, it's a bit underwhelming, but the characteristic of the engine is that the higher it revs, the faster you get accelerated. If you keep it in the lower gears, though, it's wonderful, and it revs so easily, it's easy to do. The first time I drove one, I was putzing around in traffic. The SMG doesn't have a gated shifter, so the only way you know what gear you're in is to look at the display. After a minute or two, I noticed that the engine sounded odd. Glancing down I realized that I was cruising along at 7,500 rpm in 2nd gear on a 60mpg road. The engine is so smooth, you don't notice the revs.

Old 06-27-2009, 10:22 AM
The e39 is very different. It really is the German Muscle car. It really lurches at above 2000-2500 rpm. Even at 1200 rpm it moves "smartly".