Notices
458 | 430 | 360 Ferrari 458 Italia, F430/360, Scuderia/Stradale, Discussion Forum.

Truth or Myth: I cannot walk into a dealership and buy a new 458.

Old 12-29-2010, 04:30 PM
Teamspeed Member
gvan is a splendid one to beholdgvan is a splendid one to beholdgvan is a splendid one to beholdgvan is a splendid one to beholdgvan is a splendid one to beholdgvan is a splendid one to beholdgvan is a splendid one to beholdgvan is a splendid one to beholdgvan is a splendid one to beholdgvan is a splendid one to beholdgvan is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by h20skier
I'm always a little leary of the seems too good to be true repairs. While 4k is stupid for a fluid change I would be suspect of a guy in a shop charging $400. Some of the filters alone are $75 bucks. Oil $5-8 per quart. It adds up. I don't like 1k fluid changes either but I live with them.

The Timing belts on 360's are a good example. Some guys do them for $2k and most are about $3500-4k. Difference is you can reach in from the top and pull a belt off and put one back on. You can't properly time it when done this way. The labor alone to get the car spec'd and running correctly is the $1500 difference. Do I think it's fair? Well LOL not really. I do like my cars running perfect. I have no time for downtime. I like to do 4 things on a weekend trip. Drive, Drink, Eat and my wife. Not in that order and some go hand in hand I have no time for a breakdown
It cost me $400 because there was no labour, did it myself But clearly there isn't 20-30 hours of labour in changing a few fluids when I can do it in 3-4...

Old 12-29-2010, 04:38 PM
Rolex Fanboy
h20skier has a reputation beyond reputeh20skier has a reputation beyond reputeh20skier has a reputation beyond reputeh20skier has a reputation beyond reputeh20skier has a reputation beyond reputeh20skier has a reputation beyond reputeh20skier has a reputation beyond reputeh20skier has a reputation beyond reputeh20skier has a reputation beyond reputeh20skier has a reputation beyond reputeh20skier has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by gvan
It cost me $400 because there was no labour, did it myself But clearly there isn't 20-30 hours of labour in changing a few fluids when I can do it in 3-4...
there ya have it

$400 parts 4 hours labor at $135hr standard shop and we are the same $940 plus tax

Old 12-29-2010, 05:56 PM
Teamspeed Pro
TTM0TION has a reputation beyond reputeTTM0TION has a reputation beyond reputeTTM0TION has a reputation beyond reputeTTM0TION has a reputation beyond reputeTTM0TION has a reputation beyond reputeTTM0TION has a reputation beyond reputeTTM0TION has a reputation beyond reputeTTM0TION has a reputation beyond reputeTTM0TION has a reputation beyond reputeTTM0TION has a reputation beyond reputeTTM0TION has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by h20skier
I do like my cars running perfect. I have no time for downtime. I like to do 4 things on a weekend trip. Drive, Drink, Eat and my wife. Not in that order and some go hand in hand I have no time for a breakdown
Voted for a last minute quote of the year!!!

Old 12-29-2010, 08:09 PM
Teamspeed Member
gvan is a splendid one to beholdgvan is a splendid one to beholdgvan is a splendid one to beholdgvan is a splendid one to beholdgvan is a splendid one to beholdgvan is a splendid one to beholdgvan is a splendid one to beholdgvan is a splendid one to beholdgvan is a splendid one to beholdgvan is a splendid one to beholdgvan is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by TTM0TION
Voted for a last minute quote of the year!!!
Quite liked it myself

Old 12-30-2010, 10:55 AM
Teamspeed Senior Member
streetrod454 has much to be proud ofstreetrod454 has much to be proud ofstreetrod454 has much to be proud ofstreetrod454 has much to be proud ofstreetrod454 has much to be proud ofstreetrod454 has much to be proud ofstreetrod454 has much to be proud ofstreetrod454 has much to be proud ofstreetrod454 has much to be proud ofstreetrod454 has much to be proud ofstreetrod454 has much to be proud of
Guys having read through this thread I am shocked to say the least. I am right that in the USA a Ferrari dealer can charge you more than the MSRP for a car that you have ordered?

As in the UK and Europe that would be illegal. If they were selling you a used car or a dealer purchased car then they can charge you what they want but not on an ordered car

Old 12-30-2010, 12:55 PM
Teamspeed Pro
Pablo Escobar has a reputation beyond reputePablo Escobar has a reputation beyond reputePablo Escobar has a reputation beyond reputePablo Escobar has a reputation beyond reputePablo Escobar has a reputation beyond reputePablo Escobar has a reputation beyond reputePablo Escobar has a reputation beyond reputePablo Escobar has a reputation beyond reputePablo Escobar has a reputation beyond reputePablo Escobar has a reputation beyond reputePablo Escobar has a reputation beyond repute
Not to go too offtopic but...

Holy Hell Gvan...didnt realize that G was yours...bastards...I hate stories like yours...

Old 12-30-2010, 01:34 PM
Teamspeed Member
Originally Posted by Pablo Escobar
Not to go too offtopic but...

Holy Hell Gvan...didnt realize that G was yours...bastards...I hate stories like yours...
Not as much as me

Thanks.

Old 12-30-2010, 02:43 PM
Teamspeed's Howitzer
STOPPIE has a reputation beyond reputeSTOPPIE has a reputation beyond reputeSTOPPIE has a reputation beyond reputeSTOPPIE has a reputation beyond reputeSTOPPIE has a reputation beyond reputeSTOPPIE has a reputation beyond reputeSTOPPIE has a reputation beyond reputeSTOPPIE has a reputation beyond reputeSTOPPIE has a reputation beyond reputeSTOPPIE has a reputation beyond reputeSTOPPIE has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by streetrod454
Guys having read through this thread I am shocked to say the least. I am right that in the USA a Ferrari dealer can charge you more than the MSRP for a car that you have ordered?

As in the UK and Europe that would be illegal. If they were selling you a used car or a dealer purchased car then they can charge you what they want but not on an ordered car
That's b/c MOST of those dealers are owned by the actual automaker.

Here in the Capitalistic US; MOST dealers are independently/franchised owned.

The trade off (was) is supposed to be that the US receives much higher levels of customer service. Meaning, if you tie in the employee's compensation to the clients happiness- they're supposed to do RIGHT by the client.

That fails when you employ lazy, snobby employee's.

Old 12-30-2010, 03:51 PM
Banned
cstroked is just really nicecstroked is just really nicecstroked is just really nicecstroked is just really nicecstroked is just really nicecstroked is just really nicecstroked is just really nicecstroked is just really nicecstroked is just really nicecstroked is just really nicecstroked is just really nice
At the end of the day I am convinced the bulk of the car business needs a complete overhaul. It's a broken model in many cases - from the mfg down.

Old 12-30-2010, 04:02 PM
Teamspeed's Howitzer
STOPPIE has a reputation beyond reputeSTOPPIE has a reputation beyond reputeSTOPPIE has a reputation beyond reputeSTOPPIE has a reputation beyond reputeSTOPPIE has a reputation beyond reputeSTOPPIE has a reputation beyond reputeSTOPPIE has a reputation beyond reputeSTOPPIE has a reputation beyond reputeSTOPPIE has a reputation beyond reputeSTOPPIE has a reputation beyond reputeSTOPPIE has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by cstroked
At the end of the day I am convinced the bulk of the car business needs a complete overhaul. It's a broken model in many cases - from the mfg down.
Absolutely. 100%.

The issue is this: How do you convince the Manufacturer's how important the sales process really is? As my Boss says
"The automakers spend tens of millions of dollars, sometimes, hundreds of millions of dollars. Thousands of people involved. Thousands of hours involved developing, researching and building these cars. Millions of dollars in marketing.

And at the end of the day; it boils down to ONE salesperson on whether or not that car is sold."
However, the automakers WILL do,for the most part, what ever the F they want. They produce cars despite what the market will need or support. only to come out with heavy incentives just to make it go away. Not to mention; they wine and dine the Dealer Principals; the person LEAST likely to interact with the actual client. Rare are the Owners, such as mine, who are here - everyday- meeting with clients, selling cars and makes himself easily accessible 24/7.

I've said it before and I'll keep saying this: Auto makers want to know what's going on? Sit on the front lines with the sales people and sales managers; and you can get an idea of whats going on.

But just like any business in todays world, as long as they're making MORE $$ then losing; and you have all these layers of Cooperate Bullshit between lower and upper levels of management, they will NOT change their way of conducting business.

If more CEO's spent time at ground level, they'd have a REAL clue WTF is going on with their bottom line.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Truth or Myth: I cannot walk into a dealership and buy a new 458.